Precision engineering is the crucial enabler for industries as diverse as aerospace, oil & gas, medical devices and electronics. It is the essential ingredient in the manufacturing of the smallest semiconductor chips, to the most cutting-edge of medical devices, and the largest drill bits used in oil exploration.
Economic Development Board Singapore, www.edb.gov.sg
Engineering in Singapore began in 1970s and today hosts more than 2700 companies in this industry alone. Singapore’s precision engineering industry saw an output of S$32 billion in 2014, and employs about 94000 people or 22.6% of the entire manufacturing workforce.
Singapore accounts for more than 10 percent of global output for back end semiconductor equipment, and 9 out of 10 wafer fabrication equipment companies procure from local based suppliers.
In the age of the fourth industrial revolution, if there’s one skill that Singapore can count on more than any other, this is probably it.
Auston’s in-house English program, APEC, has helped many students quickly move to a level of English required to enter into degree and academic programmes. The programme consists of 3-levels of study.
Students will be engaged in language fundamentals like learning, speaking and academic writing.
Level of Study (Full-Course)
The Elementary level aims to build a strong foundation in a student’s English language proficiency. By the end of Elementary level, students should be able to:
- understand the main ideas of a text, including discussions with some repetition and rewording;
- interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes interaction possible without strain;
- produce and understand a clear detailed text on a wide range of language forms, vocabulary and structures;
- give clear explanations and descriptions by writing paragraphs in compositions and/or personal journals;
- speak reasonably fluently, with few noticeable long pauses.
The Intermediate level prepares the students to write clear connected texts in wide topics and perform report writing. The student has sufficient vocabulary and structural understanding to:
- understand a wide range of longer texts and recognize implicit meaning;
- communicate their day-to-day needs with a higher degree of fluency and spontaneity;
- understand the use of English Language for social, academic and professional purposes and to use it appropriately;
- produce clear and well-structured texts;
- have a good command of a broad range of language allowing themselves to express themselves appropriately by identifying the specific facts within the texts.
The Advanced level is the minimum standard of English for entry into any Auston’s academic programmes. This level aims to help students prepare for spontaneous interaction to achieve communication skills beyond simple conversation. The achievements would include being able to:
- understand with ease everything heard or read;
- summarize information from different spoken or written sources;
- reconstruct sentences and presentation;
- express in different setting and environments with a high level of spontaneity and fluency;
- maintain constant grammatical and vocabulary control in order to interact with ease.
Teaching & Assessments
This course has a broad mix of project work, hands-on lab sessions, take-home assignments, class tests, presentations and examinations.
At Auston we believe that in today’s ultra-connected world, there are extremely rare occasions in which you will be unable to readily search the internet or ask Google for pre-existing knowledge. However there are many more situations, in both life and work, that will required a medium amount of effort over a long span of time.
This course will encourage you to work in groups, and with your hands, to produce exciting projects that you can use to learn new concepts of engineering and technology and proudly hold up and say
“I made this”.
Candidates aged 16 years or older are eligible to enter this Certificate programme with one of the following qualifications:
- O Levels (GCE, GCSE, CIE or EDEXCEL); or
- 10 years of formal education
- Mature Candidates: may be admitted on a case to case basis.
Applicants whose first language is not English or whose previous qualification was not taught and assessed in English must provide evidence of attainment in English Language by achieving an IELTS 5 or an equivalent qualification.
How To Apply
If you have O-Levels…
You’ll need to attend a foundation programme prior to embarking on this diploma. This diploma course is equivalent to the first year of a university programme and you must be sufficiently prepared to succeed. This route is also applicable for students with O-Levels or an equivalent qualification
If you have A-Levels…
You qualify for entry to this diploma. We recommend that you have a math/science/commerce background due to the math involved in engineering and mathematics. If you don’t have a math background, you may find portions of this course challenging. This route also applies for students with year 12, high school, or A/L equivalent qualifications.
Facilities used in this programme include Networking Labs, Engineering Labs, and Mechatronics Labs. This is a huge benefit for our students. Labs are the #1 place where students learn.
Graduation and Progression
Students will be awarded with Preparatory Course for Anglia International Examination in English (APEC) by Auston Institute upon completion of the programme.
A typical English class at Auston would have less than 15 students and made up of an equal proportion of Korean, Chinese, Burmese and Vietnamese students.
- 8 Weeks Per-Level
- 5 days a week
Fees and Financing
Taking your next step in achieving your academic qualifications is already a huge challenge. Finances shouldn’t be.
At Auston, we’ve partnered a number of banks and finance providers to make this an easy and developmental process for you.
The tuition fee covers tuition fees and study guides. Auston absorbs FPS and Medical Insurance fee.
- Programme fee for full-time : SGD 7476.65
- Application fees for International Student : SGD 250.00
* All prices are subject to 7% Goods & Services Tax (GST).
* All fees are subjected to change annually.
“I have received a lot of advantages from this English Course. I have not only improved in four skills, reading, writing, listening and speaking, but also in other areas such as general knowledge and various interesting experiences shared by the teacher and my classmates.
I have developed my fluency in speaking, better communication skills, confidence in meetings and better understanding of professional situations. The teachers are also multi-talented instructors who know very well that learning with enjoyment and fun is the most effective way.
When I take Diploma and Bachelor programs, I believe that I will not experience any problems related to the language because I have had a lot of practice, group projects, and communication with friends. I honestly believe that this course equips us with the language skills applicable to not only our classroom practices but also our daily life and serves as a bridge in helping us to go and learn higher education.”
Why People Choose Auston
- We’re focused on being the best in private-education for engineering and technology
- We’ve been awarded EduTrust 4-years.TWICE!
- Student satisfaction is more than 80% vs the industry average of 60%!*
- Student employment rate is high – 88% within 6 months!*
*Student Survey Conducted at Graduation 2017